Money means power; Women should hold this power; And it starts at home.

 In many typical households in India, when a girl grows up, she is given a lot of love. A LOT of love and protection. She is worshipped also as DEVI ka roop who has set foot in our household. In North India girls are worshipped in the Navratri season like goddesses. 

Girls today are being sent to school. Their education is also being given utmost importance. I am talking about middle class and upper middle class Indian society where I see most people prioritising their daughters education as well as their sons. However, even this mindset change, I see that on a personal level in terms on how the practical life has to be lived, girls are still very protected and often not exposed to realities of the world.

They are often not given the liberty to deal with men independently. They are not given financial burden of the house or in that matter any practical property related matter usually has to be handled by the men. Girls of the house help with it. They do not take lead on this usually. They are educated and get jobs but the money is more of a luxury. They are not expected to pay or spend for family. That responsibility is on the father, son, brother, husband still. 

Even if I had the money and I went out with my family, usually my father or brother would step up to pay. Girls - if they want to pay- usually have to fight to pay or they just give up and let the men take care of them. In some rare cases, the men might even get offended if the women pays for the dinner.

All that is nice and sweet of our fathers, brothers and husbands. But, due to things like this I never realised the importance of being financially independent and having my own money. Because if I always had another option, what was the importance of it? 

Not until the day I decided to take life in my control, be it my personal life choices, dating, marriage or be it the money I spent, I realised the value to money. 

Of having my own money. 

Of what I spent it on. 

Of Who I spent it on. 

Of how much control and power it gives to the person who is making the payment. 

And now looking back, I would not opt to be protected little girl who lets brother and father pay for her everywhere. It makes me sick to think that women are so far from the realities of the world and power play that comes with money even within the most intimate and close relations. 

I believe power and control/expenditure of money should be balanced in families. Even in husband and wife, even in brother and sister, even in mother and daughter. Everyone should get the responsibility and power equally even within a household.

Money does mean power. Women should have the power equally.  And this starts from home.  

Comments

Popular Posts