My experiences at USC


I had been sent to USC (University of Southern California) for college right after my high school in Varanasi India. It was a sudden decision after my brother had gone two years earlier to another USC (University of South Carolina) for his undergrad in a surprising turn on events of our otherwise regular upper middle class family with values of saving money and focusing of education.

I was half apprehensive, half excited and half unhappy about having to go to US. I was curious but also wondered why I had to go when all my other friends are doing college from India. I was mostly however relieved that I have scored a good college so I do not have to bear the humiliation of not getting into IIT like many of my other colleagues and sitting through for the next attempt.

I reached US accompanied with my mom. A college graduate herself she quickly formed bonds with people there who I never in future life connected with. Also we were completely unplanned and arrived 2 days before the University orientation. It was empty and me and my mother slept of beds without proper mattresses or sheets of pillows in the long and empty dorm rooms. On the third day when the orientation was supposed to start, the university filled up with students and parents and the entire dorm was buzzing. My roommate an asian american girl came and chose a bed and i was unhappy because i wanted that side and we never thought of putting our stuff on it. I expressed this to my mom who moved her stuff just looking at my face. Later the roommate complained to the RA that were stuff was touched without her permission. I was on other hand mad at my mom for touching it, didn't think she just did it to see me happy. I was also angry because everyone around me had ordered university comforters, plush mats, soft pillows, boards decorated with pictures and i had nothing because my mom had stopped me from pre ordering stuff as its expensive. 

We eventually went to Target and got these things but i was unhappy that i couldn't get those things on time like all the other students.

My roommate declared she was germaphobic and that there was to be an invisible line int he room that she didn't want me crossing. All my dreams of having a roommate that i could be best friends with went down the drain that day. I was pained and angry in my heart. My mother had already left along with my brother who had visited from South Carolina. I was alone and with a roommate who wanted to act like I was not even there. She had her own set of Hawaiian friends and she was comfortably hanging out with them.

A year later I had formed a distant yet comfortable and cozy bond with my roommate who actually helped me a lot when i forgot my I20 during my return flight to India. She is still a friend and I believe she is a good person inside albeit different from me. 

to be continued..


Comments

Popular Posts